The Indian cricket team has been hit with a fresh injury
Shivam Mavi likely to miss upcoming Asian Games
As per a report in The Indian Express, Mavi suffered the injury few days ago and is likely to be replaced by Umran Malik in the squad, which will fly to Hangzhou, China. The nature of Mavi’s injury is yet to be ascertained.
Short camp in Bangalore before the Asian Games
The squad will gather in Bangalore for a short camp before leaving for the continental event, which will be held from September 23 till October 8.
Replacement options limited due to injuries
- Selectors initially wanted Yash Thakur as replacement
- However, Thakur is also dealing with an injury
- Umran Malik has been drafted in as the replacement
No reserve player will travel with the squad
Due to the strict rules laid for the Indian contingent at the Asian Games village, no reserve player will travel with the squad.
Coaching staff and captain announced
- VVS Laxman will travel as the head coach
- Sariaj Bahutule will be the bowling coach
- Munish Bali will be the fielding coach
- The Indian unit will be led by Ruturaj Gaikwad
Change in selection committee
Former India pacer Salil Ankola, one of the selectors from West Zone, will be shown the exit as there can’t be two selectors from a particular zone. Ajit Agarkar is the new chairman of the selection committee.
The BCCI had given every member of the selection committee a one-year contract, and they will have to re-apply in December this year.