India books a spot in the Asia Cup 2023 final by defeating Sri Lanka
India booked a spot in the Asia Cup 2023 final by defeating Sri Lanka in their second Super 4 match, but it looked like the hosts might just scrape through and secure a win, considering the way the first innings went. Sri Lanka spinner Dunith Wellalage ran through India’s top-order, bagging 5 wickets. As India were bowled out for 213 runs, many fans messaged former Pakistan pacer Shoaib Akhtar that India had ‘fixed the game’ and were trying to lose the match deliberately. However, Akhtar hit back at the fans, calling out their nonsense.
Akhtar criticizes fans’ claims of India deliberately losing the match
- Akhtar receives messages from fans claiming that India had fixed the game
- India’s loss allegedly aimed at eliminating Pakistan from the final
- Akhtar defends Sri Lanka’s efforts and praises young spinner Wellalage
- Questions the logic of India deliberately losing the match
“I don’t know what you guys are doing. I am getting memes and messages saying ‘India have fixed the game’, that they are losing deliberately in order to eliminate Pakistan. Are you alright? They (Sri Lanka) are bowling their heart out. Wellalalge and Asalanka bowled their heart out. You saw that 20-year-old kid? He scored 43 runs and took 5 wickets. I am getting phone calls from India and other countries, saying India were losing deliberately,” Akhtar said in a video on his YouTube channel, hitting out at fans while lauding the fight that Sri Lanka showed in the game.
Akhtar defends India’s performance and praises Kuldeep Yadav
- Akhtar questions the notion of India deliberately losing the match
- Highlights that India wants to progress to the final
- Commends Kuldeep Yadav’s exceptional performance in the game
- Recognizes the effort of Jasprit Bumrah in defending a small total
“Why would they lose, tell me? They want to go through to the final. You end up making memes without any reason. It was a great fightback from India. The way Kuldeep played, it was massive. Look at Jasprit Bumrah, look at the fight while defending a small total,” Akhtar said.
Akhtar criticizes Pakistan’s lack of fight and questions pacers’ fitness
- Akhtar criticizes Babar Azam’s team for their lack of fight against India
- Raises concerns about the fitness of pacers Haris Rauf, Naseem Shah, and Shaheen Afridi
- Compares the fight shown by Sri Lanka’s young player Wellalage with Pakistan’s players
“Wellalage, a 20-year-old kid, is showing fight. He is batting and bowling, doing all he can. Our players (Pakistan) couldn’t show this fight. Our fast bowlers don’t play. When was the last they played 25-30 ODIs at a stretch? Then we expect Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, and Naseem Shah to deliver 10 overs and not get injured. I want the fight back from Pakistan. This was humiliating,” Akhtar asserted.
With India already through to the final, Pakistan would need to beat Sri Lanka in their next match if they are to seal the second spot in the title-deciding contest.
Topics mentioned in this article
- India vs Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup 2023
- Dunith Wellalage’s impressive performance
- Shoaib Akhtar’s response to fans’ claims
- India’s fightback, led by Kuldeep Yadav and Jasprit Bumrah
- Pakistan’s lack of fight and concerns with their pacers
- Pakistan’s chance to secure the second spot in the final