Rohit Sharma became the sixth Indian batsman to complete 10000 runs in ODI cricket
Updated Sep 14, 2023 | 06:57 AM IST
Rohit Sharma has completed 1000 ODI runs. Photo: AP
- Rohit Sharma has completed 10000 runs in ODI cricket
- He became the sixth Indian batsman to achieve the milestone
- Sachin Tendulkar was the first batsman to score 10000 runs in ODIs
Rohit Sharma etched his name in history books when he completed 10000 ODI runs during the Super Four fixture of the 2023 Asia Cup against Sri Lanka.
Rohit, who made his ODI debut in 2007, took 16 years to join the elite list. He was in and out of Team India from 2007 to 2013. He finally cemented his spot after being given the opening job in 2013 and there has been no looking back for him since then.
It was after five years that an Indian batsman completed 10000 ODI runs. Virat Kohli was the previous batsman who achieved the milestone, in October 2018. As Rohit becomes part of the elusive list, here’s a look at six Indian batsmen with more than 10000 runs in ODIs:
Six Indian Batsmen with Over 10000 Runs in ODIs
- Sachin Tendulkar – The first batsman to breach the 10000-run mark, Sachin Tendulkar finished his career with 18426 runs. He is the highest run-scorer in the history of ODI cricket. The Master Blaster averaged 44.83 and hit 49 centuries.
- Virat Kohli – With 13027 runs, Virat Kohli sits at the second spot. The former India captain made his ODI debut in 2008. He cemented his spot in 2010 and there has been no looking back for Kohli since then. The future ICC Hall of Famer has 47 centuries and is just three centuries short of becoming the batsman with the most tons in ODIs.
- Sourav Ganguly – Sourav Ganguly sits at the third spot with 11221 runs. The former India captain hit 22 centuries and 71 half-centuries. Ganguly captained India to the final of the 2003 World Cup.
- Rahul Dravid – One of the two Indian batsmen with 10000+ runs in ODIs and Tests, Rahul Dravid finished his 50-over career with 10768 runs. Dravid made a shocking comeback to ODI cricket in 2011. He announced his retirement before the start of the series against England and played all matches against the hosts.
- MS Dhoni – MS Dhoni finished with more than 10000 runs despite batting in the lower order for most of his career. The former India captain finished his career with 10599 runs from 347 matches. He captained India in 200 ODIs, leading them to victory in the 2011 World Cup and the 2013 Champions Trophy.
- Rohit Sharma – Rohit Sharma became the 6th Indian batsman to complete 10000 ODI runs during the Asia Cup match against Sri Lanka. The India captain has 10031 runs from 248 matches. Rohit will be leading in the 2023 ODI World Cup and is still the all-format captain of Team India.