Harbhajan Singh Believes Suryakumar Yadav Should Be in World Cup Starting XI
Former India spinner Harbhajan Singh feels Suryakumar Yadav should be in the starting XI come the World Cup because he can do in his role what even Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma can’t.
Selectors and Team Management’s Decision
Harbhajan feels the selectors and team management were right to pick Suryakumar in the World Cup squad ahead of Sanju Samson, who was also in the running for a middle-order role for India.
- Harbhajan believes Suryakumar is a complete player.
- He thinks Sanju Samson is a very good player but selecting Suryakumar over him is the right call.
- Suryakumar’s reliability and ability to score big sets him apart from Sanju.
Ability in the Middle-Order Role
According to Harbhajan, Suryakumar’s game in the middle overs is exceptional and unmatched by any other Indian player.
- Suryakumar’s reliability and ability to score big in the middle overs make him invaluable to the team.
- While Sanju may go for big shots from the start, Suryakumar’s reliability reduces the chances of getting out.
- Harbhajan believes Suryakumar’s style of play is similar to what MS Dhoni and Yuvraj Singh did in their prime.
Suryakumar Yadav averages 24.33 after 24 ODI innings
Suryakumar’s Performance in ODIs
So far in his career, Suryakumar hasn’t been able to replicate his success in T20 cricket in the 50-overs format.
Harbhajan’s Opinion on Suryakumar in the Middle-Order
Despite Suryakumar’s average performance in ODIs, Harbhajan believes he has the game to excel in the challenging middle-order role.
Inclusion of Arshdeep Singh and Yuzvendra Chahal
Harbhajan thinks India should have included left-arm fast bowler Arshdeep Singh and legspinner Yuzvendra Chahal in the World Cup squad.
- Arshdeep Singh brings variety to the pace attack with his left-arm seam bowling.
- Harbhajan regards Yuzvendra Chahal as a proven match-winner and a player who should have been in the team.
Yuzvendra Chahal did not make India’s squad for the World Cup
Spin Options in the Squad
India has chosen Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, and Kuldeep Yadav as their spin options for the World Cup.
- Harbhajan believes there should have been more variety in India’s spin contingent.
- He suggests the inclusion of an offspinner or another wristspinner who can turn the ball in both directions.