Yash Raj Films
Shah Rukh Khan’s “Jawan” Becomes a $100 Million Box Office Success
Shah Rukh Khan blockbuster “Jawan” has crossed the $100 million box office milestone.
Breaking Records Worldwide
- The film has now grossed $103 million worldwide, according to numbers released by producers Red Chillies Entertainment.
- In India, the film has grossed $68.5 million.
- “Jawan” is now the second highest Indian grosser of the year after “Pathaan,” also starring Khan, which released in January and concluded its run with $130 million.
- Sunny Deol’s “Gadar 2” now occupies the third spot with $82 million, while Rajinikanth’s “Jailer” is fourth with $76.6 million.
Finding Success on the International Stage
- With $17.7 million, “Jawan” was the third highest grossing film in the world over the weekend, according to numbers from Comscore.
- “The Nun II” occupied the top spot with $44.8 million, and “A Haunting in Venice” came in second with $37.2 million.
A Record-Breaking Opening and a Strong Year for Shah Rukh Khan
Directed by Atlee, “Jawan,” featuring Khan in a dual role as a father and son who set out to rectify corruption in Indian society, opened on Sept. 7 and shattered the star’s own Bollywood opening day record. It was the second highest grossing film in the world the previous weekend.
It has been quite the 2023 for Khan for whom “Pathaan” was a comeback after 2018’s “Zero,” which underperformed at the box office, with just cameos thereafter in “Laal Singh Chaddha” and “Brahmastra Part One: Shiva” (both released in 2022).
What’s Next for Shah Rukh Khan?
Incredibly, the star is not done with the year. He has “Dunki,” from director Rajkumar Hirani, which is due for a Christmas release. Hirani has been a consistent hitmaker with his blockbuster films that include the “Munna Bhai” franchise with Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi, “Sanju” with Ranbir Kapoor, and “PK” and “3 Idiots” both starring Aamir Khan.
From Action to Comedy-Drama
Sha h Rukh Khan is known as one of the great romantic stars of Bollywood. However, both “Pathaan” and “Jawan” fall squarely in the action space, with “Dunki” expected to be in the comedy-drama genre. Khan was one of the actors in discussions for Hirani’s breakout hit “Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.” in 2003, before the role eventually went to Dutt.