Danny Masterson Sentenced to 30 Years in Prison for Rape
The That ’70s Show star convicted of rape and receives 30-year sentence
The That ’70s Show star, Danny Masterson, has been sentenced to 30 years in prison after being convicted of rape. Masterson was seen blowing a kiss to his wife, Bijou Phillips, in a court sketch during the sentencing. Phillips was present in court along with Masterson’s family members when the verdict was announced.
Conviction and Sentence
- Masterson was found guilty of two counts of rape by a Los Angeles Superior Court jury in May. The jury deliberated for over seven days and could not reach a unanimous verdict on a third count of rape.
- Upon the announcement of the verdict, Masterson displayed minimal emotion while his family members fought back tears. Phillips also began to weep upon his conviction.
- Judge Charlaine Olmedo declared that Masterson’s actions 20 years ago were criminal and that he was not the victim in this case. She stated that his actions took away another person’s voice and choice.
- Masterson’s defense attorney, Shawn Holley, announced that they will appeal the verdict.
Background and Allegations
- Masterson was initially charged in 2020 with forcibly raping three women in separate incidents between 2001 and 2003.
- All of the alleged crimes occurred at Masterson’s home, and all three accusers testified against him in a preliminary hearing in May 2021.
- The allegations against Masterson first emerged in 2017, prompting an investigation by the LAPD’s Robbery Homicide Division. In November of the same year, a fourth woman came forward with rape allegations against Masterson.
- Following the allegations, Masterson was fired from the Netflix series The Ranch, in which he starred alongside Ashton Kutcher. He was also dropped as a client by the United Talent Agency.
- Masterson has been out on bail since his arrest, paying $3.3 million.
- In January 2021, he pleaded not guilty to all three charges, and his attorney expressed confidence that he would be exonerated.
- However, with the recent conviction and sentencing, Masterson will begin serving his 30-year prison term.
The conviction and sentencing of Danny Masterson for rape have shocked many, including his wife Bijou Phillips. As Masterson begins his prison term, the victims who came forward and testified against him may finally feel that justice has been served.
Stay tuned for more updates on this case.